Promoting and defending the rights of disabled citizens, both veterans and non-veterans, is the mission of Kentucky-Indiana Paralyzed Veterans of America (KIPVA) Legislation & Advocacy programs. KIPVA strives to remove all barriers and to enforce and improve the legal rights of all disabled peopled including:
- ADA Compliance
- Equal Access to Transportation
- Full Educational Opportunities
- Job training
- Pension and Disability Insurance
- Accessible housing
- Elimination of Insensitive Attitudes and Stereotypes
National Legislation Program
KIPVA works with policymakers to implement legislation to improve benefits and health care services for veterans and their families. Paralyzed Veterans of America’s Legislation Program plans, coordinates, and implements Paralyzed Veterans’ relations with the United States Congress and federal departments and agencies. Through our relationships with federal, state, and local policymakers, Paralyzed Veterans works to ensure that veterans, their dependents, and survivors, receive the best benefits and highest quality health care available. These benefits include compensation, pensions, insurance, housing and employment.
For example, Paralyzed Veterans:
- Ensures that veterans have access to quality, timely health care at VA medical facilities.
- Promotes and supports VA research on spinal cord injury, dysfunction and rehabilitation.
- Develops programs, including non-institutional long-term care, for aging veterans.
- Works for realistic, cost-effective VA funding through The Independent Budget. This is an annual comprehensive budget and policy guide that provides budget and policy recommendations for the Department of Veterans Affairs. It is co-authored by Paralyzed Veterans of America, AMVETS, Disabled American Veterans, and Veterans of Foreign Wars.
Legislative Leadership at the State Level
Kentucky & Indiana are fortunate to each have a strong Veterans Coalition Organization to provide leadership and a unified voice. KIPVA has Government Relations Directors for the States of Indiana & Kentucky that attend meetings and share KIPVA's message with our state leaders.
Military Veterans Coalition of Indiana
MISSION: The Military Veterans Coalition of Indiana’s mission is to promote the needs of the military community of Indiana including active, National Guard, Reserve, retirees and their families. We will encourage the Indiana Government to enact legislation recognizing the honor brought to the state and nation by their service.
Veterans Issues in the News
Indiana Veterans Coalition News